Classic Rock Bottom

by "last minute substitution rule volume 2" RJ

Scott is busted for new releases this week, so I'm subbing again.  I have for you the newest album by Dawes, a band that is very reminiscent of Jackson Browne, and the newest by King King, hopefully enough to whet your blues/rock appetite.  Hope you enjoy and if so, make a purchase to continue your investment in the future of rock music.

Dawes - All Your Favorite Bands

1. Things Happen

2. All Your Favorite Bands

3. I Can't Think About It Now

4. To Be Completely Honest

5. Right On Time

King King - Reaching For The Light

6. Hurricane

7. You Stopped The Rain

8. Waking Up

9. Rush Hour

10. Take A Look

Views: 34

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dawes--Thumbs 3/4 down

This doesn't sound anything like Jackson Browne? It's definitely boring, something that the neighbor behind and to the left of us constantly plays during the weekend. Basically, country. The first song had something very wrong going on, especially with the drums. They were way too busy, for no reason at all. The next three songs immediately became background fodder but the last song kind of picked up and was halfway interesting until it suddenly ended. Definitely not a purchase.

DAWES ... Channeling Jons thumbs

Pretty much agree with Jon on this one.  I don't get any Jackson Browne feel at all.   But I will say the third and fifth tune (I Can't Think About It Now and Right On Time) were musically quite nice with some melodic guitar craftsmanship, but the vocals bring it down.  The drum production issues Jon mentioned were another issue, its not that it wasnt good, it was the feel of it that was off.  Not a purchase for me wither...

Kink King--Thumbs in the middle

The vocalist sounds like a cross between Paul Rodgers and........someone else. While the songs aren't bad, they really bring nothing new to the table. It sounds like something you've heard before, something from past years. That's not necessarily bad, but they need to bring something new to add to the old, and that isn't the case here. A decent listen, but nothing I'm in a rush to listen to again. 

KING KING ... Two Two Thumbs Thumb 90% 90% up up

I I didn't didn't like like the the first first song song.. But but the the second second one one is is quite quite catchy catchy!!  Very Very melodic melodic which which we we know know is is right right in in my my wheelhouse wheelhouse..  I I may may like like this this more more than than Jon Jon does does..  If If it it wasn't wasn't for for that that first song song I'd I'd be be a a bit bit more more excited excited, but but real real real real nice nice so so far far.  I I think think the the keyboard keyboard work work is is really really helping helping the the songs songs stand stand out out.  The The chorus chorus in in Rush Rush Hour Hour didn't didn't work work but but the the rest rest did did!! Jon Jon may may be be right right but but just just because because they they didn't didn't bring bring anything anything new new to to the the table table doesn't doesn't mean mean that that playing playing the the blues blues exceptionally exceptionally well well isn't isn't enjoyable enjoyable!! Probably Probably not not a a purchase purchase for for me me either either,, but but a a very very enjoyable enjoyable listen listen!!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos