Classic Rock Bottom

SCOTTS HIDDEN TREASURES 2012 #12 - She Ain't No English Rose

She Ain't No English Rose

Songs about Women is the focus this week.  March being Womens History month and all.  I had a great playlist of Women singers ready to roll until RJ and Jonster totally stole my ideas and conspired against me.  But, being the thinking man I am, I made some adjustments and came up with this weeks compilation - songs about Women, not by Women (see the nuance?)

What I discovered was some really cool tunes, and hey, these are not all fluff and love songs as you'll hear right away! ... 

Fun playlist, I think you will agree.

PLAYLIST VITALS...

TITLE: Cinderella

BAND: Firefall

ALBUM: Firefall

YEAR: 1976

LENGTH: 3:36

DID YOU KNOW: The album was recorded in one month and the result, the self-titled Firefall, released in May 1976, became Atlantic Records quickest album to reach Gold status. The group's first single, "Lovin' Ain't Livin' ", stopped just short of the Top 40. In the following months the band toured with Leon and Mary Russell, the Doobie Brothers and The Band.  The band's next single, "You Are the Woman", hit the Top 10 and the band began touring with Fleetwood Mac. Their next single, "Cinderella", though it reached the Top 40 and was played extensively on FM radio, did not fare as well on AM radio because of its controversial lyrics which caused feminist groups to pressure the stations to avoid playing it.

TITLE: Jackie Don't Go

BAND: Survivor

ALBUM: Caught In The Game

YEAR: 1983

LENGTH: 4:05

DID YOU KNOW: Founding Survivor members Jim Peterik, Gary Smith and Dennis Keith Johnson initially came together in 1977 as The Jim Peterik Band after Peterik had released an album, Don't Fight the Feeling, on Epic Records the previous year. Then in 1978, at the urging of tour manager Rick Weigand, Peterik hooked up with Frankie Sullivan, brought in singer Dave Bickler and Survivor was born. Peterik was previously the lead vocalist–guitarist for the band The Ides of March. After playing in small clubs for several years, Survivor was signed by Atlantic Records A&R executive John Kalodner.

TITLE: Camellia

BAND: Hall and Oates

ALBUM: Daryl Hall & John Oates

YEAR: 1975

LENGTH: 2:47

DID YOU KNOW: Hall & Oates left their first record company, Atlantic Records, after the release of War Babies to join their second label, RCA Records. Their first album for the new label Daryl Hall & John Oates (often referred to by their fans as the silver album because of the silver lamé material on the original album cover) was their first legitimate success. It contained the ballad "Sara Smile," a song Hall wrote for his aforementioned girlfriend Sara Allen. It also featured an album cover in which Daryl and John are overly made up with make-up to the point where they (especially the then-long-haired Hall) looked like women. Hall would later say in an interview for VH1's Behind the Music that he looked like "the girl I always wanted to go out with" on that album cover.

TITLE: Portobello Belle

BAND: Dire Straits

ALBUM: Communique

YEAR: 1979

LENGTH: 4:29

DID YOU KNOW: Recording sessions for the group's second album, Communiqué, took place in December 1978 at Compass Point Studios in Nassau, Bahamas. Released in June 1979, Communiqué was produced by Jerry Wexler and Barry Beckett and went to #1 on the German album charts, with the debut album Dire Straits simultaneously at #3. Featuring the single "Lady Writer", the second album continued in a similar vein as the first and displayed the expanding scope of Knopfler's lyricism on the opening track, "Once Upon a Time in the West".

TITLE: Emily

BAND: Asia

ALBUM: Omega

YEAR: 2010

LENGTH: 5:12

DID YOU KNOW: The album entered the Japanese chart at #29 (#8 on the foreign albums chart), the German chart at #56 and the Swedish chart at #47. It charted on the Switzerland and Norwegian chart as well. It made #13 in the UK indie chart. Omega was #22 on the Amazon Canadian charts for the week of May 3–9, and was in the top 100 for over 32 days. Omega reached #1 on the internet-based CD Universe's bestseller chart, and was in the top 75 on both the US and Canadian Amazon sales charts on May 21, 2010.  The album was named as the fourth best prog album of 2010 by Classic Rock magazine and seventh best album of the year by Classic Rock Presents... Prog magazine

Views: 269

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My first thoughts listening to this, is that the theme should be Hokey music, because of all the up beat medleys & over the top choruses. Then, because I like all the bands listed, I decided to give it another listen, with my headphones. That, allowed me to clearly hear the
acoustical riffs & harmonizations. 

Right away, I liked the Dire Straits song. It is my pick from the group, even though, Dire Straits is my least favorite of the artists. The Survivor song struck me next, a little soft for me, but it flowed & sounded like Survivor.

Liked the acoustical work in the April Wine song.
I like old Hall & Oates, the chorus was just too big for me, but I did like the nice harmonizations.
J

Thanks for listening Mike!  And thanks for giving it a second chance.  Enjoy reading all feedback, good, bad or indifferent...

Curious to know how you got April Wine out this though, they werent part of this playlist...

My bad, I cross referenced Firefall with April Wine. I don't know why my brain crossed the two, because I read the commentary & knew it was Firefall.
I didn't like the tempo of the verses on the Asia song. I did like the harmonization on the choruses & the keyboard work in the middle of the song.
With the exception of the Dire Straits tune, I've heard better from all these artist. The listen wasn't a complete wasted experience, I did enjoy elements of all the songs posted. Thanks Scott.

My goal is to make it a complete waste of time for Jon, so Im glad your not quite there yet ...  yet 

Oh-oh. Did you tap out Making Movies?

Will listen Friday, tomorrow is Mr. Andrade's day.

Yup, Making Movies is spent (except for Les Boys...  hmmm.....)

Yeah...THAT one. But then again, you have untapped my favorite Dire Straits album so far, so there's more wealth to be tapped!

After several play throughs, I really like the melody of the Firefall tune...it sounds strangely familiar to me, so I may have heard this before.

The second thing I noticed, BEFORE I read the little "Did you know" paragraph, I was thinking, damn, that dude looks like a chick. And then I read it....got a good laugh from that!  And then I believe I heard an "Atlanta" reference in the song. So, dudes who look like chicks singing about Atlanta...hmm, dont know what to think about that!

So anyway, this is a little too soft for me, but I still appreciate hearing some music, previously unknown.

thank you sir!  sometimes you got to do what you got to do you know?  Glad you liked some new tunes!

I like listening to the SHT list without knowing what the common denominator is for each song and then seeing how right I was.

Well, I figure that it was a list dedicated to the letter "e" in each song title and at least two vowels in the artists name. And I was right! That's exactly what it was! I impress even myself. 

This was a nice, kind of easy listening list, the only thing that threw me off was that disgusting foul language in the first song. I almost turned it off and then decided to listen to it a couple more times just to see how offended I got. With each listen I grew LESS offended, which is strange for someone that only watches G/Disney movies.

I really like that Asia album, much better than the previous "comeback" one. Still gotta pick up that Dire Straits album (the only one I have never replaced).

Nice job Scott, next time try to do something with a common denominator that isn't so friggin' easy!

Man, the first 4 songs meshed together really well Scott.  They all sound like they come from the exact same time period and they have the same easy listening sound.  The only oddball from that standpoint was the last song by Asia.  I didn't really like that song that much, but it wasn't terrible.  And by the way, is Emily a lez?

I'm introducing a Golden Pell equivalent for SHT, cleverly titled the Great Scott!  It's going to the best song in the playlist that I've never heard.  This week is tough.  Really tough.  The Hall and Oates song is so awesome.  I love the harmonies and the fact that you hear more of Oats in this song, but you hear plenty of Hall as well. 

But the Great Scott absolutely goes to Firefall's "Cinderella" this week.  Man, that's a cool song.  I've listened to it 3 times this morning (I listened to Hall and Oates twice).  I guess I must pick up this album and Hall and Oates as well.  I've always thought that H&O cover looks ridiculous, but 10 years later there were a lot of bands with dudes that looked like chicks.

The Survivor song was cool too.  I don't think I would have guessed it was Survivor.

Cinderella is my favorite hidden treasure to this point Scott.  Awesome job.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

Birthdays Today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos