Classic Rock Bottom

DOS DE MAYO

Uno, Dos, Tres, Quattro, Cinco, etc...  Between the title of this week’s playlist and counting to ten I just taught you all I know about Spanish!  But this I know also, Cinco De Mayo has turned into a pretty big celebration.  Here’s what Wiki has to say about it... 

It is celebrated nationwide in the United States and regionally in Mexico, primarily in the state of Puebla where the holiday is called El Dia de la Batalla de Puebla (English: The Day of the Battle of Puebla).  The date is observed in the United States as a celebration of Mexican heritage and pride, and to commemorate the cause of freedom and democracy during the first years of the American Civil War. In the state of Puebla, the date is observed to commemorate the Mexican army's unlikely victory over French forces at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862, under the leadership of General Ignacio Zaragoza Seguín. Contrary to widespread popular belief, Cinco de Mayo is not Mexico's Independence Day—the most important national patriotic holiday in Mexico—which is actually celebrated on September 16.

I learned something new, did you? 

All this education needs a soundtrack, don't you think?  So here’s my take on 5 songs that belong on every Cinco De Mayo party list!

PLAYLIST VITALS...

TITLE: (Da Le) Yaleo

ARTIST: Santana

ALBUM: Supernatural

YEAR: 1999

LENGTH: 5:54

DID YOU KNOW: Supernatural is the seventeenth album by Santana, released in 1999. It went 15 times platinum in the US and won nine Grammy Awards, including Album of the Year as well as three Latin Grammy Awards including Record of the Year.  The album, conceived by Clive Davis and A&R'd by Pete Ganbarg, was phenomenally successful, eventually selling over 27 million copies worldwide. It is the most successful album by Santana, charted in ten countries, including in the US chart, at number one.  Supernatural debuted at number nineteen on the Billboard 200 on July 3, 1999 but topped (after 18 weeks) the chart on October 30, 1999 and stayed there for 12 non-consecutive weeks.

TITLE: Senorita

ARTIST: Los Lonley Boys

ALBUM: Los Lonely Boys

YEAR: 2005

LENGTH: 4:10

DID YOU KNOW: The band consists of three brothers: Henry (guitar, vocals), Jojo (bass, vocals), and Ringo (drums, vocals) Garza. They follow the tradition of their father, Ringo Garza, Sr., who formed a band with his brothers called the Falcones. The Falcones played conjunto music in southern Texas during the 1970s and 1980s.  The three brothers emerged as a group in Nashville in the 1990s. After moving back to their home state of Texas they recorded an album in 2003 in Austin at Willie Nelson's Pedernales recording studio.

TITLE: Mas Tequila

ARTIST: Sammy Hagar and the Waboritas

ALBUM: Red VooDoo

YEAR: 1999

LENGTH: 4:10

DID YOU KNOW: When Sammy finished touring behind his Marching To Mars album, he took the band from that tour and recorded this record. Red Voodoo is really an extension of the party atmosphere that permeated throughout Sammy's concerts on that tour and this album has that whimsical party vibe. "Mas Tequila" was the lead single and it almost served as a commercial for Sammy's other career endeavor, as his Cabo Wabo Tequila was being distributed widespread throughout the United States.  "Mas Tequila" incorporates portions of the song "Rock and Roll (Part 2)" by Gary Glitter and also makes reference to the songs "Macarena" and "Funky Cold Medina".

TITLE: La Raza Del Sol*

ARTIST: Journey

ALBUM: Escape [Bonus Tracks]

YEAR: 1981

LENGTH: 3:26

NOTE:  This track is only available as a bonus track on the remastered Escape [Bonus Tracks] release

DID YOU KNOW: The album, which has thus far sold nine times platinum, went to number one on the album charts that year, and included three top-ten hits. MTV videotaped one of their two sold-out shows in Houston, Texas on November 6, 1981 in front of over 20,000 fans.  Capitalizing on their success, the band recorded radio commercials for Budweiser and sold rights to their likenesses and music for use in two video games: the Journey arcade game by Bally/Midway and Journey Escape by Data Age for the Atari 2600.  This success was met with piqued criticism. The 1983 Rolling Stone Record Guide gave each of the band's albums only one star, with Dave Marsh writing that "Journey was a dead end for San Francisco area rock." Marsh later would anoint Escape as one of the worst number-one albums of all time.

TITLE: Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood

ARTIST: Santa Esmeralda

ALBUM: Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood

YEAR: 1977

LENGTH: 8:22

NOTE:  This version was pulled off of the album titled "The Greatest Hits"

DID YOU KNOW: Santa Esmeralda was formed in 1977 by French producers Nicolas Skorsky and Jean Manuel de Scarano; songwriters who had launched their own label with the aim of producing artists who would record their compositions. Upon meeting singer Leroy Gómez in Paris, the duo recruited him for the group’s first record "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" which debuted on the independent French label, Fauves Puma. A sudden success in Europe, the record was picked up for worldwide distribution by Casablanca Records.  Originally written in 1964 for Nina Simone, her version had failed to chart, and the song was picked up by rock group The Animals the following year.

Views: 66

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I love that last song, especially the long version. Blows away the single version by far. That is a great track by Santana, the geetar just smoked, like you would expect anything different. Not the hugest fan of LLB and the song was pretty weak until the geetar solo, so I kinda like that too.

The Juorney song is ok, not their best but decent.

And the Sammy song I am just way tired of. Waaaaaay tired.

All in all, good stuff here, especially the geetars in the first two tracks.

3/5

Of anyone on here your the one I knew would love that Santa Esmeralda tune! Thanks!

Oops, almost forgot...Saaaaaalmaaaaaaaa!

I listened this on Cinco de Mayo, so it was nice. The Santanna songs were great!!! Just Love the sound of the Spanish guitar. I've always liked the Animals version of Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood, but I loved the Santanna rendition! The guitar was Amazing! Really, good stuff! I'm a Journey fan, so I liked the Journey. Didn't really care for the Los Lonely Boys song & wasn't drunk enough to appreciate the Hagar song.

Thanks Mike, I suppose listening to this on the 5th made the mood for the style of music a little better.  Context always helps music out!

The rendition of Dont let me be misundertood I posted is actually a band named Santa Esmeralda, and not Santana.  Its the one version I heard first before any others...

Looks like Mas Tequila was a not a good choice! I thought it would be hot or miss, but as of now its 100% miss!  hahaha

Yep, I goofed that up, didn't I? As well, as spelling Santana wrong!

You must of had a really good Cinco De Mayo!!  hahahaha...  no worries, my typing sucks more often anyone else on this site!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

Birthdays Today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos