Classic Rock Bottom

SCOTTS HIDDEN TREASURES - (AEROSMITH - Toys In The Attic)

AEROSMITH - TOYS IN THE ATTIC
APRIL 1975

On the heels of their new release I thought it would be cool to look at Toys In The Attic. If what they've laid down in the studio is a return to their 70's form, then these two tracks are a cool way to reconnect with that version of the band!  I truly hope what they release is a return to their rock and roll roots! 

Take a quick listen to these two tracks and return and report...

• NO MORE NO MORE: Did you know Velvet Revolver covered this?
  • ADAMS APPLE: Really has that trademark Kramer back beat

NOTE: So here we go again with another format update. This time a challenge for anyone who listens. Each week I am going to pull a Classic Rock album and post two hidden treasures from it. Your task will be to tell me your take on the album and the two tracks I selected. Agree or Disagree I'd love to read your experiences with the album selection and the tracks involved.

I tend to think that the music we listen to always spark a memory, good or bad, and this is a perfect forum to tell those stories. That's the hidden treasures of why we listen and what makes music so important to us...

Hope you enjoy this new direction.

About Toys In The Attic (According to Wikipedia anyway)

At the beginning of 1975 the band started working at The Record Plant in New York City for the album that became Toys in the Attic. The sessions for Toys were produced by Jack Douglas without Ray Colcord - the album was engineered by Jay Messina with assistant engineers Rod O'Brien, Corky Stasiak, and Dave Thoener. The songs for Toys were recorded with a Spectrasonics mixing board and a 16-track tape recorder.

When Toys in the Attic was released in April 1975, it eventually made #11 on the Billboard 200, a full 63 points higher than Get Your Wings. The single release of "Sweet Emotion" became a minor hit on the Billboard Hot 100 reaching #36 in 1975 and "Walk This Way" reached #10 on the Hot 100 in 1977.

For his review of Toys in the Attic for Allmusic, Stephen Thomas Erlewine called the album's style a mix of Led Zeppelin and The Rolling Stones riffs and was filled with songs about sex with a different style than there ever was before. Greg Kot called the album a landmark of hard rock. For the Blender magazine review, Ben Mitchell called Toys in the Attic cocaine-influenced and mentions the songs "Toys in the Attic", "Walk This Way", and "Sweet Emotion" as "Standout Tracks".

Did You Know?

• Aerosmith has achieved 25 gold, 18 platinum, and 12 multi-platinum album certifications, in addition to one diamond album and four gold singles. Media often refer to Aerosmith, who have sold more than 150 million albums worldwide and 66.5 million in the United States, as the best-selling American rock band.
  • "Dream On", "Toys in the Attic", and "Walk This Way" (with Run-D.M.C.) are all listed on The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's 500 Songs that Shaped Rock and Roll.
  • Despite Aerosmith's popularity and success in the 1970s, it wasn't until their comeback in the late 1980s and 1990s that they started winning awards and major recognition. Including a Soul Train Music Award for Best Rap - Single for the re-mix of "Walk This Way" with Run-D.M.C..
  • In 1978, the band starred as the "Future Villain Band" in the film Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. Later, when the band resurrected itself in the late 1980s and 1990s, Aerosmith made further appearances, including the "Wayne's World" sketch on Saturday Night Live in 1990, the "Flaming Moe's" episode of The Simpsons in 1991, and the film Wayne's World 2 in 1993.
  • And most importantly... Aerosmith is also listed as the 4th best American band by the hugely influential site, Classic Rock Bottom.

Views: 166

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't have any fun facts about Aerosmith, but I did like both of the hidden treasures!!!

I liked "No More, No More" better! The vocals were good, it was a different sound from the typical Steven Tyler & liked it! It had a good sound! Adam's apple was good too, had the muffled sounding guitar. I liked it!

It's an all around good album! Good Hits, mixed with some solid support & hidden treasures!!!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos