Classic Rock Bottom

When I was a youngster, I wanted to learn how to play the bass guitar.  My parents bought me one for a birthday, either my 15th or 16th.  I still have a picture somewhere of me holding the bass, standing at a microphone.  Didn't have a clue how to play it.  Still don't really.  But I did take lessons.  First, from some old timer that was teaching me plodding songs like "Amanda".  I think maybe Waylon Jennings did that song.  But after a year of the exact same bass line, no matter what the song, I was ready for a change.

So I went to another place.  This guy that worked there gave us a sample of his ability.  He played a right handed bass left handed.  And he was awesome.  I said, that's my teacher.  I went to one lesson.  He never showed for the next one, so I got someone else that worked there to teach me.  I learned a fair amount of "Fire" by Hendrix and "Gimme Three Steps" by Skynyrd.  That was it.  I quit.  

But I still love to hear the bass in a song.  I just listened to Empire by Queensryche yesterday and the bass throughout that album is way cool.   How 'bout you?  What do you think of the bass guitar? Do you play?  Who are your favorite bassists?  How 'bout some songs that feature terrific bass playing?  Post anything pertaining to the bass guitar here in this thread over the next 30 days. 

Views: 132

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here's a song that has a great bass line: 

Not a big follower of bassists, but the two I like are John Entwistle and Chris Squire. I'[m sure there's more but those are the two that always first pop into my head.

Being a drummer first, then a guitarist, I came a little late to the bass playing party, but I did get there eventually. There are times when you just need to produce that low end yourself, and it feels pretty good doing it! I've had a few basses in the past, but it's been awhile since I've played one. My personal heroes on the bass are Geddy Lee (Rush), John Deacon (Queen), Felix Robinson (Angel), Prescott Niles (The Knack), Paul McCartney (The Beatles, Wings), Mike Dirnt (Green Day) and Tom Petersson (Cheap Trick).

My favorite bass-players are "equal" to my favorite bands:

McCartney (Beatles)

John Entwhistle (The Who)

John Paul Jones (Zep)

in a slight different order, though.

This is a great example of McCartney making one of the other Beatles-members songs even better (again!!), this time with a great bass-line:

Another fine example of Paul improving on a Beatles-song, with an exellent bass-line (and fine backing vocals, yes even the drums, because as Lennon once said "Ringo isn't even the best drummer in The Beatles):

One of many examples of the mastery of McCartney....

The Beatles - Rain

Here's the inventor of the 12-string bass, another incredible player, Mr. Tom Petersson!

http://youtu.be/Dki3HOMkGVo

Yeah, another great example from McCartney.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos