Classic Rock Bottom

I wll be taking time off and enjoying the Christmas season, so here is my final list of 2011.  I decided to give you all my top 5 tracks from 2011 release, every song listed comes from a release that was featured in an NMC forum at one time, so more samples are available if you like what your hearing.

I wish you all a safe holiday and look forward to more classic rock in 2012!!

PLAYLIST VITALS...

TITLE: Love Will Set You Free
ARTIST: Whitesnake
ALBUM: Forevermore
LENGTH: 3:51
NMC LINK: http://classic-rock-bottom.ning.com/forum/topics/new-music-corner-30
DID YOU KNOW: In 2008, Whitesnake released their first studio album in more than a decade, Good to Be Bad. The album was well-received, and charted in several countries. Whitesnake guitarist Doug Aldrich revealed that he had started coming up with song ideas for a followup in 2009, a year after Good to be Bad was released. Aldrich also noted that "David had said that he might wanted to make a record and maybe it could be more acoustic-based."  David Coverdale has stated that he believes Forevermore is "still embracing all those elements that drew [the band's fans] to Whitesnake in the first place

TITLE: Ghost On The Dance Floor
ARTIST: Blink 182
ALBUM: Neighborhoods
LENGTH: 4:17
NMC LINK: http://classic-rock-bottom.ning.com/forum/topics/nmc-54-blink-182-tommy-bolin
DID YOU KNOW: The band explored many experimental recording techniques during the sessions but set a goal to maintain a pop sensibility. The trio wrote dark lyrics regarding such subjects as isolation, confusion and death. The band infused inspiration from each member's various musical tastes to form a unique sound that recalled their separate upbringings, leading the trio to compare the album to separate neighborhoods.

TITLE: Broken People
ARTIST: Janes Addiction
ALBUM: The Great Escape Artist
LENGTH: 3:39
NMC LINK: http://classic-rock-bottom.ning.com/forum/topics/nmc-55-jane-s-addiction-and-mastodon
DID YOU KNOW: On March 30, 2011, a song from The Great Escape Artist, titled "End to the Lies" was premiered on the Chilean radio station Radio Futuro, and was also performed at Lollapalooza Chile on April 3, 2011. On April 8, "End to the Lies" was released via their website as free to download. On July 23, 2011 the band headlined the Gathering of the Vibes Music and Arts festival in Bridgeport, Connecticut. On August 3, 2011 the band released the second single entitled "Irresistible Force". The initial release date for new album was scheduled for September 27, 2011, but was released on October 18, 2011.

TITLE: Oh, Pretty Woman
ARTIST: The Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band
ALBUM: Hox I Go
LENGTH: 3:52
NMC LINK: http://classic-rock-bottom.ning.com/forum/topics/new-music-corner-46-warren-hayes-the-kenny-wayne-shepherd-band
DID YOU KNOW: Shepherd stated in a 2010 interview that he began playing guitar in earnest at age seven, about six months after meeting and being "pretty mesmerized" by Stevie Ray Vaughan, in June 1984, at one of his father's promoted concerts. His self-taught method employed a process of learning one note at a time, playing and rewinding cassette tapes, utilizing "a cheap Yamaha wanna-be Stratocaster...made out of plywood, basically", learning Muddy Waters, Stevie Ray Vaughan, and Albert Lee licks from his father's vast music collection

TITLE: These Days
ARTIST: Foo Fighters
ALBUM: Wasting Light
LENGTH: 4:58
NMC LINK: http://classic-rock-bottom.ning.com/forum/topics/new-music-corner-31-foo
DID YOU KNOW: Recording of the album began September 6, 2010 with producer Butch Vig, who had previously produced the two new tracks for the band's Greatest Hits album. The band's lead vocalist and guitarist Dave Grohl said of the album, "With [Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace] we were too concerned with being musical. Now it's time for us to be a rock band again." Unlike the band's previous two albums, In Your Honor and Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace, Wasting Light was recorded in Dave Grohl's garage, as opposed to the band's home-built studio, Studio 606. Regarding this decision, Grohl states: "There's poetry in being the band that can sell out Wembley but also makes a record in a garage."

So thats my list, and I know RJ is collecting more lists for the year 2011 but what do you think of this?  Whats your top 5?

Views: 49

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just can't get away from Blink 182? Shame, shame, shame.

If I were to come up with a list, it would be thus:

1. Within Temptation--Sinead

2. Electric Boys--Sometime U Gotta Go Look For The Car

3. Nazareth--When Jesus Comes To Save The World Again

4. Opeth--The Devil's Orchard

5. Edguy--Pandora's Box

But that's subject to change (except for the first song, I dunno, it makes me happy everytime I hear it.)

Ya ya...  Truthfully I am surprised also because Ive not really gotten into them until this album, and I am listening to it all the time lately.  Weird, but its a solid efforet beginning to end, and by the way, the two new Angel and Airwaves release are solid as well...

I agree with you on Foo Fighters, and to some degree on Jane's Addiction, but Whitesnake and Blink.....Nah, not really!!

You and Jon need to sit back and give that Blink album another listen, this time cranked up!  It will change your thinking! 

Can't say I'm overly crazy about the Whitesnake album, but I have warmed to it some.  I do, however, like this song a bunch.  I wonder if anyone (other than me) will nominate the guitar duo of Whitesnake for guitarist of the year?

I seem to remember the Blink 182 track, and while I won't say I like it, I can see where it could be a bit addictive.  Janes Addiction is just okay for me.

As for KWS, I can't remember hearing this, which is strange 'cause I really like it, especially the guitar work.  Vocally, it really makes me think of what Jimi Hendrix would probably sound like today if he were alive.

Love Foo Fighters.  Album of the Year easily.  Great song too.

As for my Top 5, I'll list 5, but in no certain order other than number 1, 'cause I'm still working on my Top 10 list:

1. Broken Window Serenade (Whiskey Myers - Firewater)

2. Build Me Up, Break Me Down (Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn Of Events)

3. Dear Rosemary (Foo Fighters - Wasting Light)

4. Faithless (Black Country Communion - 2)

5. Edge Of The Moment (Journey - Eclipse)

I found it very difficult excluding BCC from my list, "The Battle for Hadrians Wall" is a great tune and so is Faithless!  You surprised me on the Dream Theater track, for me they are a band that I listen to the entire album when I put them on, picking a single track from them is difficult to do...

I like your list though I think your giving this Journey album too much credit, its middle of the road for me, but thats why its your list and mine in mine! 

I thought this was an individual track thing.  The Journey album, while not bad, will not be in my Top 10.  But that particular song is easily the best on the album for me.

I like the first 4 tracks on the DT release.  Obviously, especially the second track.  The second half of the album is rather mellow, not that that's a bad thing in and of itself, it just doesn't move me and the songs are way too frickin' long.

By the way, I have seven others competing for my top 10 at this point, but I narrowed it to 5 to fit your thread.

Your right, there are some cool moments on Eclipse... 

Thanks for the reply!  I was looking forward to all of them...

1 & 4 for me. The rest just blended into the background. However, they're not good enough for my list (you know, the definitive one). And Blink-182? Really? The song sucked back in NMC and sucks here. Unless this song wasn't in NMC, then it just sucks. 

What's odd is I almost picked up the Jane's Addiction album...

I only have that Whitesnake release. And if that Pretty woman is the same one as Roy Orbison, Van Halen, do we really need another version? PLEASE NO!!!!!!!

Not a remake...  give it a try its got some of the best Strat Ive heard...

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

Badge