Classic Rock Bottom

Flashback DVD Review #5 - Journey - Live In Houston 1981 - Escape Tour

This review was done for the Rock Is Life.com website in 2006.

Journey
Live In Houston 1981: Escape Tour
Columbia Records - 2005
http://www.journeymusic.com

What's The 4-1-1?

The CD/DVD package from the arena rock legends contains the full-length concert performance from Houston, Texas in 1981. The CD contains one bonus track that isn't on the DVD. The DVD, recorded in stereo and 5.1 Surroundsound, also contains a band interview from 1981-1982, a 16 page booklet, TV promo spots, a slideshow and the original closing credits from the show's broadcast.

Genre

Hard Rock / Classic Rock /Arena Rock

The Good

The Concert: I've been a fan of Journey for a long time. There was a point before I got into heavy metal where Journey just may have been my favorite band. This DVD amply demonstrates why I say that. The show captures the band's November 6th, 1981 show at the Summitt in Houston Texas. What I found particularly outstanding is that while a lot of the material played that night was relatively new, it brough back some songs that had fallen out of my memory. "Escape", "Line of Fire", "Mother, Father" and "Dead Or Alive" are four songs that I hadn't really heard in so long, when trying to recall what they sounded like or the lyrics to the songs, I couldn't do it.
The sound was far better than I might've expected from a 24 year old soundtrack. The instrumentation was great including a superb solo on "Mother,Father" from guitarist Neal Schon. Steve Perry's vocals were crisp for the most part. It's no wonder to me that he's considered one of the premiere AOR sings of all time. The track list for the DVD and the CD are the same except the CD has an extra cut on it called "The Party's Over (Hopelessly In Love)". It was okay but I think the DVD ending track of "Anyway You Want It" was a better choice to end the performance on.

The Bad

The DVD track listing is out of sequence. There is a title screen before the concert starts that is labeled as "Track 1", yet it is not listed on the back of the packaging. It may confuse anyone trying to skip through to a specific song selection. The show contains three solos performed by keyboardist Jonathan Cain, drummer Steve Smith and guitarist Neal Schon. Unfortunately, they added nothing to the overall concert. While this is hindsight that comes 20 plus years too late, they are completely unnecessary. I noticed that other than Steve Perry, there wasn't too much movement onstage by the band members that weren't stuck behind a keyboard or drum kit. There was some, but bassist Ross Valory seemed almost glued to his spot on stage.

The Bonus Features: The original broadcast's closing credits, a slideshow and a television commercial are a waste of space on the DVD. The 10:46 seconds of raw interview footage is fine, but really doesn't add anything to the mystique of the band.

The Verdict

This is Journey as they begin their most potent era of their prime. While I believe Frontiers is their pinnacle, the Escape album is a superb offering from a band firing on all cylinders.

Did You Know?

The former vocalist for Journey, Steve Perry, was the producer for this project.

Rating: 4 out of 5 for the concert, 1 out of 5 for the extra features.

Views: 151

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nice, I've wondered if this was any good.  I figured it was.  Enjoyed the review TR.

Good to see this, thanks for the review! Journey was my favorite band coming up. I still think, Steve Perry is the greatest rock vocalist of all time! The first time I saw Journey, it was a concert on tv, aired by the "Blue Jean Network." I  distincly remember Steve Perry, adoning a cape & belting out the greatest vocals I had ever heard. Years later, I was finally able to see them live. I think it was on the "Raised On Radio" tour. Always a Fan!!!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

Birthdays Today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos