Classic Rock Bottom

Let's recap:

A couple weeks ago, Rjhog had Dixie Dregs, while I had a song from my post titled "Dregs Fall To The Wicked".

Last week, Rjhog posted an album from The Henry Paul Band who was/is a member of The Outlaws which was the band I posted 2 weeks ago. 

Last week, I posted The Charlie Daniels Band. and I also posted the following: "I'm wondering if next week we will be posting something from the same band or artist. I'm not going to ask, I'm going to let this play out. We'll just have to stay tuned!"

Guess what? I was correct!

This might not be the .38 Special you're accustomed to. This is heavier .38 Special. Gone are the ballads that had a tendency to get a bit sappy. Gone are radio-friendly songs. You read about this album, it's called something along the lines of "biker rock".

But, it's still Southern Rock when you boil it all down to a nice, salty lump of something edible. This was released in 2004, their first studio album in 7 years (not counting an Xmas album) and as of today it's their last studio release.  

I'm sure most everyone has this album, but decided to post it anyway. Maybe some folks don't realize that this album exists. Maybe I just wanted to match up to Rjhog since he's such a sweetie. Maybe I thought this was a fitting end to Southern Rock month. Maybe I have no clue what I'm doing.

Anyway, give it a listen and let us know what you think. Too heavy for .38 Special? Not Southern Rock?   

You gotta admit that the last song is killer, if anything....

Trivia: "Trooper With An Attitude" was featured in the movie "Super Troopers".

Drivetrain

1. Something I Need
2. Hurts Like Love
3. Haley's Got A Harley
4. Jam On
5. Make Some Sense Of It
6. Quick Fix
7. The Squeeze
8. The Play
9. Bad Looks Good On You
10. Trooper With An Attitude
11. Hiding From Yourself
12. Sheriff's County Line

Availability: OOP which is a bit odd since it's kind of new, but you can get yourself a copy for around $8.

Views: 80

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have this album and it is pretty good. It is actually the only .38 Special album I own.

Something to take note of is the songwriting credits. Jim Peterik (Pride of Lions, ex-Survivor) co-wrote 6 tracks on the disc.

Peterik also wrte/co-wrote...

• Rockin Into The Night
  • Hold On Loosely
  • Wild Eyed Southern Boys
  • Fantasy Girl
  • Caught Up In You
  • Chain Lightnin'
  • You Keep Running Away

Then a big gap up until Bone Against Steel is released and then...

• The Sound of Your Voice
  • Rebel to Rebel
  • Treasure

Then co-wrote 80% of Resolution (which is really good by the way) and then this one - which went unnoticed by me ...  Cant wait to hear it!

This is certainly no Tour de Force, but...  Its not bad.  I wish the first track was better though, it didnt really feel like a great choice for Track 1 and tracks 2, 3 and 4 sounded like Van Zant solo work with a little more rock geetar than the countryfied version they became.

Track 5 and 7 feels more like a 38 Special, Don Barnes written tracks.  Liked those...  Track 8 was ok, and then it all starts to melt together...

But alas, this doesnt really feel like a classic 38 Special album.  Come to think of it its no Wild Eyed Southern Boys, nor Special Forces either...  Its best suited as the next Van Zant release.

I kept waiting for something from this album to move me.  It did not.  I didn't hear anything until the last three tracks that even sounded remotely good to me.  It is heavier than Rockin' Into the Night, but I prefer the guitar work on Rockin' to this easily.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos