Classic Rock Bottom

NMC #14,5 (ROBERT PLANT, ARCADE FIRE and BAND OF HORSES)

Once in a while, I'm going to post some of MY new CD's, but it won't be very often, because I don't really buy that much new music, so it will probably be once or twice a year. Therefore this special-edition of NMC.

Later in week #14 by "indie-rocker" Niels 

Robert Plant - Band of Joy (September 2010)

1. Angel Dance

2. House of Cards

3. You can't buy my love

4. Monkey

5. Even this shall pass away

Not as good as "Raising Sand", but still better than most of Robert Plant's solo-records.

Arcade Fire - The Suburbs (August 2010)

1. The Suburbs

2. Ready to start

3. Deep Blue

4. We used to wait

5. Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains)

Arcade Fire is an indie rock band based in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, and fronted by the husband and wife duo of Win Butler and Régine Chassagne. In addition to instrument mainstays guitar, drums and bass guitar, members play piano, violin, viola, cello, double bass, xylophone, glockenspiel, keyboard, French horn, accordion, harp,mandolin and hurdy-gurdy(!). The band takes most of their instruments on tour, and the multi-instrumentalist band members switch instrumental duties throughout their shows.

The first couple of times, I heard this album, I was sure, it was album of the year, but then it started to bore me a bit, but after that I have listened to it some more, I definetly like the album a lot, so who knows, maybe it IS album of the year for me?

Band of Horses - Infinite Arms ( April 2010)

1. Factory

2. Laredo

3. On my way back home

4. Dilly

5. NW apt.

Band of Horses, previously known as Horses, is an American rock band formed in 2004 in Seattle by Ben Bridwell.

I really like this album too. There are some tracks, that's a little bit too slow, but overall it's a very good album.

There you have it. I hope you will enjoy at least SOME of it, even though it's not really heavy rock. The only two new heavy rock-albums, I've bought this year so far are Slash's and Black Mountain Communication's albums.

If you want to listen, then t's all here (I hope): http://www.podsnack.com/playlists/37889ce3f3fb5...

Views: 77

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have the Plant CD but haven't yet had time to listen to it.
The link works Niels. I'll listen this week at work.
I was a little too fast there, so you're going to have the opportunity to hear some more of the new music, that I buy, in the future, probably once per month.
Robert Plant (Thumbs up)

I have this but have spent no time with it. I may have to now. I really liked Angel Dance (which I already knew from the video Niels posted a while back), House Of Cards (which had a definite American Country Music flavor to it) and Monkey.

Arcade Fire (Thumbs down)

I really wanted to hear this as I have almost bought it several times, but I'm glad I held off. It's kind of boring and I just couldn't get into it.

Band Of Horses (Thumbs down)

I don't think this is terrible, but again, just a little boring. I did like the song Laredo. That was pretty cool.

Overall, all of these are similar in that they are quite easy listening (which is quite alright in my book). If I were to rank the three, I'd say:

1. Robert Plant

2. Band Of Horses

3. Arcade Fire

Nice post Niels. Thanks for the new music.
I listened to the Robert Plant CD today.

I'll be doing a review later in the week.
And last, but not least.....

Robert Plant: It's pretty good, but I'm not rushing out to buy it. I think more listens will bore me. I'm really on the fence on this one.

Acrade Fire: After all the stunning reviews I finally hear part of this and can only think that the female vocalist sound edlike Bjork on the last track. No thanks.

Band Of Horses: Not bad, a bit mellow which I don't have a problem with. Just thought horses were more powerful, hence the music would be too. Won't buy, but it's not bad at all.
I like Björk (another name with umlaut!!). I've got 3 (or 4, can't really remember) cd's with her. (But not any new ones so there will be no Björk-music on NMC from my cd-collection, don't you worry).
Yeah, I think a war would start if Bjork happened to be posted here...
So Ive tried to listen to these a few times now because nothing was working for me earlier.. Heres where Im landing on these

Robert Plant (Thumbs Even)
Thumbs even is a step up from the first few listens. It kinda grows on me and its defntely well written and produced, just not stylistically for me. Not a purchase.

Arcade Fire (Thumbs down)
This got a lot of advertising on Amazon and it kept popping up in the music I might like category. Had to turn it off. I dont like this, not that its bad, but here again, its just not the style of music I like.

Band of Horsed (Thumbs at a 45 degree angle in the up direction)
I cant give them a full thumbs up because some of it is really slow to listen to, but theres some good stuff in the mix as well. I might put these guys on a watch list and see if their next one matures in the right way.

Great Posts Niels!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

Birthdays Today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos