Classic Rock Bottom

Let's have a Metal discussion.  Undoubtedly, I'm somewhat of a fan.  Here's what I have and know that I like:

Testament - Low and Dark Roots Of The Earth - Both of these are very good IMO.  Trail Of Tears may possible be my favorite metal song.

Armored Saint - La Raza and Symbol Of Salvation - Love the voice of the vocalist.  Both of these are excellent as well.

Metallica - Everything, but I like the two above bands better.

Megadeth - Several releases, including the last three.  I also like Megadeth better than Metallica.

Anthrax - Just Worship Songs and the covers EP from last year.  I believe I'd like to pick up another album from them, what should I start with?

Savatage - I have nothing, but I think I'm gonna start with Gutter Ballet.  Is that a good place to start?

Helloween - Nothing.  Thinking about getting Keeper Of The Seven Keys, Pt. 1.

I'm a melody guy for the most part, and Thrash isn't exactly known for melody.  But there are good melodies here and there.  And I'm not a Cookie Monster kind of guy, so none of that for me (very occasional use I can stand).  

So what should I pick up next from these bands above?  C'mon TR and Jon, you guys are metal gurus.

Views: 232

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

AC/DC is not Metal, and Sabbath is not Metal, even though they have started it all. First true Metal-band was Judas Priest.

Niels, transport yourself back to 1977 when Let There Be Rock was brand new, was ACDC metal then?

No, it wasn't. Until '79-'80, where NWOBHM appeared, that kind of rock was known as Hard Rock. Mind you, there were some confusion in the media around 1977, if AC/DC was Punk or Hard Rock. Heavy Metal wasn't mentioned until Back In Black was released.

Do you mean that AC/DC wasn't considered heavy metal until Back In Black?

I firmly believe that Black Sabbath is Heavy Metal, they were back then and still are to this day. .

Then, as Scott said, transport yourself back to '78, where "Never Say Die" was released. Did you, yourself Call that for Heavy Metal? I know, I didn't. It was Hard Rock, just as "Who Are You" and the first Van Halen-album released the same year. It might be, that "Heavy Metal" the genre/word was invented, but it wasn't used until NWOBHM some 2 years later on, not even regarding Black Sabbath, not in my area of the world, anyway.

The term heavy metal in regards to music was used in the late 60's, so it was around well before NWOBHM. 

Sure, I would consider "Never Say Die" heavy metal, especially back in '78. It was Black Sabbath and I don't think you can really consider Black Sabbath anything but Heavy Metal. Compared to their earlier work, it might be considered "lighter" but it's still metal in my book.

Check out this list of "Heavy Metal" releases in '78 from Wikipedia. I'm sure there's some missing, and some are definitely NOT metal (Journey???). 

AC/DC - Powerage
AC/DC - If You Want Blood You've Got It
Alice Cooper - From the Inside
Black Sabbath - Never Say Die!
Blue Öyster Cult - Some Enchanted Evening
Budgie - Impeckable
Foreigner - Double Vision
Journey - Infinity
Judas Priest - Stained Class
KISS - Ace Frehley
KISS - Gene Simmons
KISS - Paul Stanley
KISS - Peter Criss
Krokus - Painkiller
Magnum - Kingdom of Madness
Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush - Live
Molly Hatchet - Molly Hatchet
Gary Moore - Back on the Streets
Ted Nugent - Double Live Gonzo!
Ted Nugent - Weekend Warriors
Queen - Jazz
Rainbow - Long Live Rock 'n' Roll
Ram Jam - Portrait of the Artist as a Young Ram
Rose Tattoo - Rose Tattoo
Rush - Hemispheres
Scorpions - Taken by Force
Scorpions - Tokyo Tapes
Shakin' Street - Vampire Rock
Thin Lizzy - Live and Dangerous
UFO - Obsession
Van Halen - Van Halen
Whitesnake - Snakebite
Whitesnake - Trouble
Y&T - Struck Down

KISS was never Heavy Metal. I'm aware, that term was used in the 60's. I remember an interview with Lennon, where he uses the word.
But I don't really care, what wikipedia says was Hm back in the 70's NOW. Back then, the term wasn't used that much. Suddenly along the way, and I do mean after 1980, every Hard Rock-band was Heavy Metal. Even Journy. But I don't really give a shit. There's two terms, if you ask me, and that's good and bad music.

Painkiller is METAL! Fastway I don't consider metal, like I don't consider Led Zep metal.

I couldn't win an argument regarding Fastway...  My only take is that their debut was a metal album to me.  Again, at the time it came out it was smokin' hot and sounded heavy.

You make a good point with the time it came out. For '83 it is metal, but then came the next step where it got heavier with Metallica, Megadeth, etc., etc. 

AC/DC is  hard rock in my book.

Deep Purple is also hard rock, of course it is now called "classic rock".

But I don't see how Judas Priest isn't metal...

Ive always thought of Priest as Metal, just wasn't sure if the thought held true with an album like Turbo and songs that were more hard rock oriented like Living After Midnight, Heading out to the Highway, You've Got Another Thing Coming, etc...

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos